Trend Micro has discovered malicious software for Android that can record audio and video captured from your device, read your text messages, and view your calls, mybroadband reported.
The following general advice for users and enterprises to avoid infection by malicious software such as GhostCtrl:
- Keep your devices updated.
- Regularly back up data in case of device loss, theft, or malicious encryption (i.e. ransomware infection).
- Apply the principle of least privilege—restrict user permissions for staff’s own devices to prevent unauthorised access and installation of dubious apps.
- Implement an app reputation system that can detect and block malicious and suspicious apps.
- Employ encryption, network segmentation, and data segregation to limit further exposure or damage to data.